Tuesday 22 April 2008

Handsome on the Hammersmith or pug ugly on the Piccadilly?

I was having coffee with a Greek friend of mine the other day, and, of course being Greek, means he has at least two P.h.d.'s. He mentioned that some tube lines on the underground had better looking people on them than others. He shared that he was a great advocate of the central and circle lines, and he wasn't so fond of the pickings on the Piccadilly line. Considering I have spent a good deal of my time in London living in the centre, or cycling, I can't say that I've been underground enough to 'test' if these theories were accurate. (If, in fact, they can be tested. I still believe everyone has different tastes as to what is considered good-looking)

Later that night, we were having dinner with a happily ever now hybrid of an American woman and her British, public school boy partner. We asked them what they thought of this hypothesis. 'Well, we met on the circle line 7 years ago' they said. Apparently, they were believers.

I still think we need a much bigger sample size before we can draw any conclusions.So, that is why I ask you, my dear readers. Do different lines have better looking people than others? And, I have usually said that the tube is a bad place to meet people. Due to lack of personal space, it's often seen as threatening to make extended eye contact with others. The way we give people space in a situation where there isn't much space, is to not make direct eye contact. This is why people are looking up, down, or anywhere but at you! But, what do you think? Is the tube a good place to meet others?

1 comment:

Das Mutter said...

I cannot speak for the tube, only having used it one time. But I CAN speak for the CTA trains in Chicago. The set-up is similar...the Brown line is like the circle line, the red line is like, I think, what is the red line there--goes all the way through the city, etc. The red line had good looking people to the north, but a safe bet was always the brown line (or the circle line). I guess I'd say it depends on what neighborhood you aspire to! :)