Thursday 11 October 2007

What does he mean when he says 'call me'?

The other night I was holding one of my Allure seminars. One of the attendees raised her hand, and in a very serious manner, asked if she could have my advice on the age-old question about who should call whom. She told me that a man she fancied, told her to call him, and what did I think that meant. Before I could answer, another woman in the group recounted the same story and the two started analyzing and hypothesizing about what this whole ‘call me’ thing, could possibly mean.

They created many scenarios as to what this seemingly straight-forward phrase could really mean. This ranged from “Well, maybe he is too lazy to call” or “Maybe he is trying to brush me off” to “Maybe he is hoping I won’t call him.” The two women thought of every situation under the sun, except for the obvious one. Admittedly, I had to stop them, or they could have continued analyzing for days. After all, analyzing is one of the favourite pastimes of the fairer sex. I pointed out that maybe, just maybe, he actually meant for you to call him. They both fell silent as if it was the first time they had ever considered that option. Then they started again, “But don’t you think that maybe he thought that by telling me to call him that I would think…..” I stopped them again with a flat out “No!” Sometimes tough love is the only option.

What some women seem to forget is that many men do not communicate like women. They are much simpler. Not simple in a bad or ignorant way, just simple in a straight-forward, what you see is what you get, sort of way. And although, there are always the few slippery deviants who slide past, most men are pretty uncomplicated Slowly it started dawning on them, “So, we are actually thinking about what our motives would be if we told a guy to call us, and not what he is actually thinking when he said ‘call me’” Bingo ladies! I think both sexes would have greater successes with the opposite sex if they put themselves in the other’s shoes. As a bonus, kitten heels look great on any bloke, especially those over 6’2”.

2 comments:

The Author said...

the unfathomable desire of women read between perfectly clear lines, where no such needs exists... if it stopped, the world would be a simpler and nicer place for everyone.

Mizz allure said...

If women were not allowed to analyze conversations, behaviours, etc, the world might be a simpler place, but it certainly wouldn't be nearly as interesting!